Thursday, September 8, 2016

Identity Crisis

When I googled the word, "Identity Crisis" this was one of the main pictures I saw:


 "Hello my name is…" Obviously, this picture isn't talking about you forgetting your name. I saw a deeper purpose behind this picture. And that is, "Who am I?" "What's my purpose?" "What are my gifts?"

As a teenager, I have so many adults come up to me and ask me, "Where are you going to go to college?" "WHY are you going to college?" "What do you want to be when you grow up?"

That last question is the most important to me. And as a sixteen year old girl, less than two years away from being an adult, that question isn't being asked to me as a little kid along with a little pinch on the cheek as the adult laughs in reply to me saying, "I wanna be an astronaut!" It's a legit question, and people are wondering why I am here on Earth. And so am I.

One thing that I know for sure about myself is that I love TONS of things. I have too many interests to count on my ten fingers. I like shopping, filming, taking care of animals, politics, writing, dancing, reading, acting, drawing, the list goes on for an eternity! I also  am in about three million fandoms, ranging from the "boyish" adventure movies that Marvel has brought us like The Avengers, to Disney princess movies like Frozen. Do you get me? It feels to me that I like just about everything! And is this a coincidence? No way!

God created me to have tons of interests and like lots of things! And sometimes I look at other teenagers who are JUST committed to art, or JUST committed to dance or gymnastics, soccer, basketball, computer programming etc etc, and I think, "Why don't I have just one thing or 'gift' I'm committed to?" My mom answered this question for me a few weeks ago in the car. She said,

"Madison, God created you to love a lot of things, and have many many interests. You can be whoever you want to be and whatever God is calling you to be. You don't have to be just one thing."

Don't let the world tell you who to be. Don't let them tell you your identity needs to be found in one interest or one hobby. You can tell the world, "I want to be a professional soccer player, but I also want to be a veterinarian on the side." That may confuse the world around you a little, but that's alright, be different.

So when people ask me, "What do you want to do with your life?" I say, "I don't know." And I'm alright with that answer, even if the person asking me the question is not. I don't need to stress about my future! God has every step of the way planned out already for me and HAS had it planned out for years and years, way before I was born. 

I'm thankful that God made my personality elaborate, just like he made yours elaborate too. It's a good thing, because when the time comes for you to pick your career, you will have TONS of options to choose from. :)


7 comments:

  1. Very mature mindset for a 16 yr old young lady…a revelation that can truly set you free to do all God has called you to. Proud of all 3 of you girls and the positive message you are putting out there. Way to go Mads…love you big time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maddie, I absolutely LOVE this post! I love how you said, "I don't need to stress about my future! God has every step of the way planned out already for me and HAS had it planned out for years and years, way before I was born." That spoke so much to me! Love you tons!


    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so encouraging! As an almost 30 year old who also has a lot of interests I needed to hear this. Thank you and keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so encouraging! As an almost 30 year old who also has a lot of interests I needed to hear this. Thank you and keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "So when people ask me, "What do you want to do with your life?" I say, "I don't know." And I'm alright with that answer, even if the person asking me the question is not. I don't need to stress about my future! God has every step of the way planned out already for me and HAS had it planned out for years and years, way before I was born." I LOVE THIS! So good Maddie!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good answer!!! I didn't know either, and it took me a long time to learn how to "follow the bread crumbs" that the Lord was leaving for me :)

    ReplyDelete